The Physical Education Program at Kangaroo Primary School aims to:
- Develop student awareness of physical fitness
- Encourage the development of co-operation, team spirit and respect for each other
- Encourage a healthy environment, and set foundations for a positive attitude towards collaboration and competition
- Develop in students, the ability to make safe/wise decisions about personal health and to encourage students to take
- Responsibility for such decisions
- Develop, promote and encourage appropriate communication skills
At Kangaroo Ground, all students participate in a variety of activities. Students’ involvement in physical activity can take many forms, ranging from individual, non-competitive activity through to competitive team games. Emphasis is placed on combining motor skills and tactical knowledge to improve individual and team performance. Students progress from the development of basic motor skills to the performance of complex movement patterns that form part of team games. They learn how developing physical capacity in areas such as strength, flexibility and endurance is related to both fitness and physical performance.
Students progress from learning simple rules and procedures to enable them to participate in movement and physical activity safely, to using equipment safely and confidently. Students undertake a variety of roles when participating in sports such as umpire, coach, player and administrator and assume responsibility for the organisation of aspects of a sporting competition.
There are opportunities for all students to partake in swimming lessons at the local outdoor pool in Diamond Creek. Older students take part in inter school sports with other local schools during Terms 2 and 4. During Term 3, there is a local schools athletics meeting which, again, all students can take part in and also during Term 3, a cross country event as well as a basketball 'Hoop Time' event In the past few years, the students have had clinics from Cricket Victoria, Auskick, soccer skills from Eltham Redbacks and Basketball coaching. This year KG took part in the local Sugarloaf soccer tournament and were crowned tournament champions. We also offer units of dance and Gymnastics which are alternated each year and are run by outside coaches.